Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Networking for Women - lesson #1

The number one lesson of networking- be it for women, men, or otherwise is to do so continuously. And unlike my effort on this blog (my apologies...) it needs to happen every day. There needs to be a commitment to network no matter how hard (or how easy) it is.

One of the things that I have figured out is that I am not good at some things - and no matter how much I want to be good, it probably wont happen. I will not be a pro basketball player. I will not be an opera singer. I will not be the life of the party and I cannot "work a room".

But I can write. I can write emails, and notes, letters and blogs. My writing may not be polished. My casual tone may turn off some. I may leave the page littered in sentence fragments... But I can get my thoughts down-express myself-reach my audience.

Knowing this gives me the power to network in a way that I can do. And I can do so every day.

I have been able to network with so many people through my writing. I can reach out in a way I cannot do with my voice.

So the lesson here for me is that I need to write more. I need to blog daily. I have had success in networking through blogging, and networking is a never-ending job. It is a job with much reward, but work none-the less. And so I am committing to writing. Writing for networking.

Hopefully that commitment will keep this blog better up to date.

Do you have any networking advice for women? Please Comment.

1 comment:

women networking said...

You are absolutely right! Women networking sites are so common that the hard part isn't finding where to network, it's finding the time to network consistently. Good post!